Plumage: t/sanity.t fails on Windows

François Perrad francois.perrad at gadz.org
Fri Nov 13 07:57:36 UTC 2009

2009/11/13 Geoffrey Broadwell <geoff at broadwell.org>:
> On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 15:28 -0800, Geoffrey Broadwell wrote:
>> > C:\fperrad\Parrot\parrot-plumage>parrot-nqp t\sanity.t
>> > 1..18
>> > Can't spawn child process
>> > current instr.: 'run' pc 0 (src/lib/Glue.pir:88)
>> > called from Sub 'test_invalid' pc 1021 (EVAL_1:336)
>> > called from Sub 'run_tests' pc 267 (EVAL_1:124)
>> > called from Sub 'MAIN' pc 195 (EVAL_1:0)
>
> Oh, this is interesting.  It looks like on Windows instead of returning
> an error code when trying to 'spawnw' a non-existent program, parrot is
> throwing an exception instead ...
>
> ... yep.  On *nix, parrot throws an exception on fork fail, but either
> an error code or just plain exit() on exec fail.  On Windows,
> CreateProcess fail results in a thrown exception.
>
> Yuck.
>
> OK, working around the mess ...
>
> ... done, pushed.  OK, try the latest Plumage, please!

C:\fperrad\Parrot\parrot-plumage>parrot setup.pir test
/Parrot-1.7.0-devel/bin/parrot-nqp t/harness t/*.t
t/01-sanity.t ...passed 5 tests
t/02-glue.t ...passed 17 tests
t/03-util.t ...passed 26 tests
t/sanity.t ...failed 15/18 tests
FAILED  15/66

C:\fperrad\Parrot\parrot-plumage>parrot-nqp t\sanity.t
1..18
invalidjunkdoesnotexist
ok 1 - do_run()ing invalidjunk returns false
./plumage version
This is Parrot Plumage, version 0.

Copyright (C) 2009, Parrot Foundation.

This code is distributed under the terms of the Artistic License 2.0.
For more details, see the full text of the license in the LICENSE file
included in the Parrot Plumage source tree.
ok 2 - plumage version returns success
not ok 3 - plumage version knows its name
# match failed: target ''.' is not recognized as an internal or
external command,
# operable program or batch file.
# ' does not match pattern ':s Parrot Plumage'
not ok 4 - version mentions Parrot Foundation
# match failed: target ''.' is not recognized as an internal or
external command,
# operable program or batch file.
# ' does not match pattern ':s Parrot Foundation'
not ok 5 - version mentions Artistic License
# match failed: target ''.' is not recognized as an internal or
external command,
# operable program or batch file.
# ' does not match pattern ':s Artistic License'
./plumage asdfversion
I don't know how to 'asdfversion'!
ok 6 - plumage returns failure for invalid commands
not ok 7
# match failed: target ''.' is not recognized as an internal or
external command,
# operable program or batch file.
# ' does not match pattern ':s Print program version and copyright'
not ok 8
# match failed: target ''.' is not recognized as an internal or
external command,
# operable program or batch file.
# ' does not match pattern ':s Print info about a particular project'
not ok 9 - info rakudo
# match failed: target ''.' is not recognized as an internal or
external command,
# operable program or batch file.
# ' does not match pattern ':s Perl 6 on Parrot'
not ok 10 - info rakudo
# match failed: target ''.' is not recognized as an internal or
external command,
# operable program or batch file.
# ' does not match pattern 'dependency\-info'
not ok 11
# match failed: target ''.' is not recognized as an internal or
external command,
# operable program or batch file.
# ' does not match pattern ':s I don.t know anything about project
.coboloncogs.'
not ok 12
# match failed: target ''.' is not recognized as an internal or
external command,
# operable program or batch file.
# ' does not match pattern ':s I don.t know anything about project
.coboloncogs.'
not ok 13
# match failed: target ''.' is not recognized as an internal or
external command,
# operable program or batch file.
# ' does not match pattern ':s I don.t know anything about project
.coboloncogs.'
not ok 14
# match failed: target ''.' is not recognized as an internal or
external command,
# operable program or batch file.
# ' does not match pattern ':s I don.t know anything about project
.coboloncogs.'
not ok 15
# match failed: target ''.' is not recognized as an internal or
external command,
# operable program or batch file.
# ' does not match pattern ':s I don.t know anything about project
.coboloncogs.'
not ok 16 - no args give usage
# match failed: target ''.' is not recognized as an internal or
external command,
# operable program or batch file.
# ' does not match pattern ':s Print program version and copyright'
not ok 17 - no args give usage
# match failed: target ''.' is not recognized as an internal or
external command,
# operable program or batch file.
# ' does not match pattern ':s Print info about a particular project'
not ok 18 - plumage fetch no args
# match failed: target ''.' is not recognized as an internal or
external command,
# operable program or batch file.
# ' does not match pattern ':s Please include the name of the project
you wish info for'