1085 trac ticket

Konovalov, Vadim (Vadim)** CTR ** vadim.konovalov at alcatel-lucent.com
Fri Nov 13 21:51:39 UTC 2009

> From: Geoffrey Broadwell [mailto:geoff at broadwell.org]
> On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 15:25 +0100, Konovalov, Vadim (Vadim)** CTR **
> wrote:
> > Another related question - is it really a good name -
> TclLibrary - for a module establishing connection to the
> tcl/tk binaries?
>
> Does it embed the Tcl interpreter completely, like Blizkost does for
> Perl 5, or is it just a binding to pTk, the portable Tk libraries?

it connects to Tcl/Tk library existing on the system in order to provide GUI, much like perl/Tk for perl5, or rather Tcl::Tk.
The latter is less widespread but is much easier to implement, that is one of reasons why I am moving this way.

I think that having GUI in any language running parrot VM will be really desireable.

As for "portable Tk" - I do not know what kind of portable Tk libraries you have in mind, but I often create portable applications with PAR with perl5 that use Tcl::Tk and bring mentioned tk libraries together with final PAR-generated executable.

Best regards,
Vadim.