Parrot 1.8.0: Calls for updates to NEWS, PLATFORMS and CREDITS

Chris Johns chris at contemporary.net.au
Thu Nov 12 21:39:11 UTC 2009

Jonathan Leto wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Yes, I have been busy lately and have not had time to work more on
> Parrot+RTEMS. My initial blog post [0] is a reasonably accurate status
> update for where we are now.
>
> In short summary, Parrot 1.8.0 will not ship with RTEMS-support out of
> the box. Parrot has had patches applied to it that make
> cross-compiling Parrot to RTEMS possible, but we are still working to
> make the build system do this automagically.

Is there anything I can do to help test these changes ? So if please let know
how I can help.

> I think the RTEMS people
> plan to provide some packages that will ease running Parrot on RTEMS,
> but I am a little fuzzy on this right now.

I am working on this but the progress has been slow. I have started a Wiki
page on the RTEMS Wiki but I need to do some things to simplify what needs to
be done to get Parrot working.

I have a working RTEMS shell parrot command and with the dynops statically
linked I can run a range of examples. There are some that fail and I need to
look into these and make a list. I am really happy with the progress and the
support on IRC I have received. The biggest hold up is my understanding of
Parrot but that is slowly changing.

An issue to be resolved is the exit handling. There are cases of exit in
Parrot that are not via Parrot_exit, eg "parrot --help" currently results in
RTEMS rebooting, also what if a user has more than one Parrot interpreter
running how is exit is mapped to the specific interpreter ?

> Parrot works on RTEMS. I am not sure how our garbage collector
> interacts with the real-time-ness of RTEMS, though. It may need to be
> shut off currently, to retain realtime characteristics. I have been
> doing research on realtime gc algorithms, there are a few implemented
> on the JVM [1], JeRTY VM [2] and Jikes RVM [3]. The "Tortured History
> of Real-Time Garbage Collectors" also seems like an interesting read.

Nice.

Chris