makefile thoughts

Andy Dougherty doughera at lafayette.edu
Tue Nov 17 16:02:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, Will Coleda wrote:

> Because I am tired of fixing bugs with makefile deps, I'd like to do
> some cleanup on our makefiles to make them easier to
> process/validate/debug.

Good luck with that!  It is rather complex now -- some directories
have their own makefile while others do not.  There are also a number
of little quirks which I've never been able to understand (e.g. MAKE vs
MAKE_C) and for which the commit logs are singularly unhelpful.

> * Do we currently support any versions of 'make' that don't support an
> include directive of some kind? (gmake and nmake both seem to)

Solaris make and dmake (distributed make) and OpenBSD make all support an
include directive.

    Andy Dougherty		doughera at lafayette.edu