Parrot 1.8.0 "Zygodactyly" Released!

Jonathan Leto jaleto at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 22:39:07 UTC 2009

Howdy,

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Shane Calimlim <ImustDIE at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a quick, random, question: I noticed under NQP it lists "- NQP has a
> new PAST-based regex engine (intended to replace PGE)."  I'm just curious
> whether this means PGE is intended to be replaced globally, and if so, why?
> And if not, why not use it in NQP?  (I have no dispute, just curious)

NQP now has the power to replace (most of) the Parrot Compiler Toolkit
(PCT), which uses Parrot Grammar Engine (PGE). This doesn't mean that
everything will immediately be converted, but HLL's starting now can
use NQP instead of PCT+PGE.

The reason that NQP doesn't use PGE is because it is better and more
Perl 6 spec-compliant. It does use the file Perl6Grammar.pbc to build
"p6regex", a self-hosting Perl 6 Regex compiler, as well as
HLLCompiler.pbc from PCT.

The best way to think about it is: NQP now provides a much nicer
interface for HLL developers than PCT + PGE does currently. You can
still use PCT and PGE, but there is now an easier-to-use solution.

pmichaud++ can go into more detail, if you need. He actually knows
stuff, I just pretend.

Duke

--
Jonathan "Duke" Leto