GC refactor ahead

Donald Hunter donald at sealgair.com
Wed Nov 25 21:19:50 UTC 2009

Allison,

I hacked out arena based GC and hacked in Boehm GC several months back. IIRC
for an execution run of compiled Rakudo code the performance difference was
minimal. Reading the IRClog it chimes with what I remember - it would appear
to be due to the fact that so many short-lived objects are created, any GC
is going to be under huge pressure.

It will take me a while to resurrect my Boehm hack since I am in the middle
of a Windows 7 upgrade but I can gather some specific figures if it will
help.

Cheers,
Donald.