[perl #58324] Build issues on WXP

Will Coleda via RT parrotbug-followup at parrotcode.org
Wed Oct 28 03:07:27 UTC 2009

On Sun Aug 24 08:07:51 2008, dhruva at ymail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>  I am trying to perl6 on windows XP. I get the following error as
>    shown below. I have activestate perl installed (which may be the
>    reason for using MSVC compiler), if it helps I can try with
>    strawberry perl. I am building from svk head.
>
> -- Build error --
>
> [dk]gmake
> "Compiling with:"
> xx.c
> cl -I.\include -nologo -GF -W4 -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG -DWIN32 -D_CONSOLE
>    -DNO_STRICT -DUSE_SITECUSTOMIZE -DPRIVLIB_LAST_IN_INC -Zi -wd4127
>    -wd4054 -wd4310 -DHAS_JIT -DI386 -I. -Fo xx.obj -c xx.c
> src\string.c
> include\parrot\compiler.h(26) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include
>    file: 'sal.h': No such file or directory
> gmake: *** [src\string.obj] Error 2
>
> -dhruva

dhruva -

Thanks for the report; Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

Parrot's undergone a lot of changes since this original report, but I know we've had
successful builds with both MSVC++ and strawberry perl recently. (based on smolder
reports, and chatter today on IRC.)

If you can reproduce this (or get a different error) with a recent parrot (which you'll get if you
use the --gen-parrot option on a recent rakudo), you can open a new ticket at
https://trac.parrot.org (we're in the middle of switching from RT to trac for parrot.); There
might be an MSVC++ issue with the packaged version of parrot 1.7.0, so if that gives you
problems, be sure to try configuring with strawberry perl.

Regards.

--
Will "Coke" Coleda