Suggest Deprecating Current JIT System

Moritz Lenz moritz at casella.faui2k3.org
Wed Sep 2 13:29:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 08:56:39AM -0400, Andy Dougherty wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Andrew Whitworth wrote:

> > some plans for implementing a proper JIT for Parrot. I have tried to
> > show several options for each step, each with pros and cons:
> >
> > https://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/JITRewrite
>
> Here are a few random observations:
>
> Current JIT:
>     Can anyone provide reasonable benchmarks for whether this actually
>     provides any significant performance boost?  (Obviously, this has
>     to be done by someone on a platform where it currently works.)

pmichaud did some very simple benchmarks: 'make test' in rakudo with the JIT
core produced segfaults, 'make testj' in parrot was slightly faster than the
fast or the slow core, but ran much less tests (many are skipped).

> LibJIT:
>     The only URL I've found,
> 	http://www.southern-storm.com.au/libjit.html
>     doesn't seem to go anywhere useful anymore.  That's doesn't seem
>     to be a good sign.

The first google hit is a wikipedia entry, which says that
http://dotgnu.org/ is the project website. Which in turn says that the last
release was in December 2008.

Cheers,
Moritz