Virtual Developer Summit - Sunday, April 11th 2010

François Perrad francois.perrad at gadz.org
Sun Apr 11 08:12:57 UTC 2010

2010/4/8 Allison Randal <allison at parrot.org>:
> In keeping with the tradition established (in one previous supported
> release), we're holding a virtual developer summit on #parrot
> (irc.parrot.org) Sunday, April 11th at:
>
> 7:30pm UTC
> 8:30pm UK
> 3:30pm US Eastern
> 12:30pm US Pacific
>
> We'll be talking about the long-term roadmap (mainly 2.6 and 3.0),
> development priorities, as well as a checkin our current development
> procedures. We'll plan for about 2 hours, with the earlier time spent on
> roadmap items, and the remainder on general discussion.
>
> I you have questions or comments but can't make it to the virtual summit (it
> is rather short notice), please pass them along to someone who plans to be
> there.
>
> Allison

The languages left the nest with Parrot 1.0, and many libraries will
leave after 2.3.

My main goal is to build & test them without Perl5 dependency.
See runtime/parrot/library/distutils.pir & runtime/parrot/library/TAP.

My current needs are :
- a way to chmod file (see TT #1322)
- a TAR library (first creation)
- a zlib library (first compression)

I want to experiment the parallel build & test (option --jobs=Nb core).
With the subroutine run_jobs (see above), distutils is ready for a refactoring
    .sub 'run_jobs' # serial build
        .param pmc jobs
      L1:
        unless jobs goto L2
        $S0 = shift jobs
        system($S0, 1 :named('verbose'))  # mainly, a spawnw $S0
        goto L1
      L2:
    .end
but I don't known which parallelism model is supplied by Parrot.

François