Virtual Developer Summit - Sunday, April 11th 2010

Allison Randal allison at parrot.org
Tue Apr 13 12:20:08 UTC 2010

On 4/11/10 9:12 AM, François Perrad wrote:

> The languages left the nest with Parrot 1.0, and many libraries will
> leave after 2.3.
>
> My main goal is to build&  test them without Perl5 dependency.
> See runtime/parrot/library/distutils.pir&  runtime/parrot/library/TAP.

General agreement that this is a good long-term goal, and good to be
making progress on it.

> My current needs are :
> - a way to chmod file (see TT #1322)
> - a TAR library (first creation)
> - a zlib library (first compression)

All considered good ideas.

> I want to experiment the parallel build&  test (option --jobs=Nb core).
> With the subroutine run_jobs (see above), distutils is ready for a refactoring
>      .sub 'run_jobs' # serial build
>          .param pmc jobs
>        L1:
>          unless jobs goto L2
>          $S0 = shift jobs
>          system($S0, 1 :named('verbose'))  # mainly, a spawnw $S0
>          goto L1
>        L2:
>      .end
> but I don't known which parallelism model is supplied by Parrot.

Parrot currently provides a layer over POSIX threads (or Windows threads
on Windows). They have limitations, but are adequate for this kind of
simple parallelism (each parallel task is largely independent of
another). The tricky part for you is likely to be deciding how to
declare when a build job can be run in parallel, and when one job has to
wait for another to complete.

Allison