Fwd: GCC 4.5.0 Released

Andy Dougherty doughera at lafayette.edu
Tue Apr 20 12:54:26 UTC 2010

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010, Andy Lester wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:

> > GCC 4.5.0 is now capable of "link-time optimization".  Traditionally,
> > most C and C++ compilers (including GCC) have only been able to
> > optimize within a single source file or "module".  GCC was therefore
> > unable to take advantage of optimization opportunities that required
> > knowledge about multiple modules.  This limitation has been removed in
> > GCC 4.5.0.  This optimization can provide significant increases in
> > performance and equally significant reductions in code size.

Sun CC has been able to do this for some time (with the -xipo option)
though extra tweaks are needed to the build process because -xpio doesn't
work with the shared libparrot.so that parrot likes to build.  I have,
from time to time, fiddled with this option on both Perl 5 and Parrot, but
it usually hasn't made much of a difference.  I will be curious to see if
GCC does any better.

    Andy Dougherty		doughera at lafayette.edu