Parrot 2.3.0 Released!

Gerd Pokorra gp at zimt.uni-siegen.de
Tue Apr 20 16:36:01 UTC 2010

  "Truth is what stands the test of experience."
     - Albert Einstein

On behalf of the Parrot team, I'm proud to announce Parrot 2.3.0 "Samoan
Lory." Parrot (http://parrot.org/) is a virtual machine aimed at running
all dynamic languages.

Parrot 2.3.0 is available on Parrot's FTP site, or follow the download
instructions at http://parrot.org/download. For those who would like to
develop on Parrot, or help develop Parrot itself, we recommend using
Subversion on the source code repository to get the latest and best
Parrot code.

Parrot 2.3.0 News:
- Core
  + Allow passing parameters to the dynamic linker ('dlopen' improved)
  + loadlib opcode added
  + Calling conventions are now much more consistent, and follows
natural
    semantics of handling arguments and return values
  + Recursive make for src/dynpmc removed
  + Datatype STRINGNULL for a single Null STRING added
  + config_lib.pasm replaced with config_lib.pir
- Platforms
  + Improved handling of new compilers
  + Cygwin packages will be updated again with Parrot releases
  + Fedora packages add desktop files
  + gzip and bzip2 compressed tar files for releases
- Tools
  + tapir executable added; tapir is a TAP test harness
  + Added TAP options --merge --ignore-exit
- Miscellaneous
  + 3 month cycle for supported releases
  + Review and vote of GSoC applications

Many thanks to all our contributors for making this possible, and our
sponsors for supporting this project.  Our next scheduled release is 18
May 2010.

Enjoy!