mk_native_pbc

Will Coleda will at coleda.com
Wed Apr 21 19:26:04 UTC 2010

I was going to open a ticket on tools/dev/mk_native_pbc, but will hit
the list first, as this could be several tickets; I'll post a laundry
list here and get some feedback before opening tickets.

- is written in sh - We should consider porting it to perl even if it
will only ever run on platforms with sh. (one less language in our
build kit.)

- needs documentation - when to run it? why to run it? plans about
obsoleting it?

- better diagnostic output - should let the developer know that they
might want to reconfigure and rebuild their parrot when its done. (svn
commit suggestion missing quotes in output.)

- when it runs, it uses 'perl' instead of the perl Configure ran with.
(easily fixed with a conversion to perl)

- it discards any options passed to Configure.pl earlier, like those
involve your compiler (annoying when one of these is an option to
enable ccache)

- Running it in a freshly built build dir on my machine (r45860)
(intel mac 10.6) modifies the t/native_pbc/*_4.pbc files - shouldn't
these be identical if I haven't bumped PBC_COMPAT? (t/pmc/packfile.t
passes with the new pbc files.)

- running the script executes the tests t/native_pbc/*.t which are all
disabled. (but not the pack*.t tests which actually depend on the
modified PBC files)

-if I bump PBC_COMPAT, realclean, rebuild, t/pmc/packfile.t dies with

t/pmc/packfile.t .. 1/34 PackFile_unpack: This Parrot cannot read
bytecode files with version 6.6.

ok. So let's regen the pbcs...done, files are updated
(t/native_pbc/*_4.pbc), let's rerun the packfile.t tests - they fail
with the same message, above... because they're testing the _1 pbcs,
which weren't updated and are still from the last PBC_COMPAT version -
so what's broken here, the packfile tests?  mk_native_pbc? (the whole
process?) Should developers on platforms that don't update the _1 pbcs
just ignore the packfile tests in situations like this and wait for
someone on the right platform to regen the tested PBCs ?

Regards.

--
Will "Coke" Coleda