Why has pbc_to_exe become unusable?

Andy Dougherty doughera at lafayette.edu
Thu Apr 22 12:04:39 UTC 2010

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, Andy Dougherty wrote:

> > On Wednesday 21 April 2010 at 12:14, Andrew Dougherty wrote:
> >
> > > Anybody have any idea what happened to pbc_to_exe?  With the released
> > > version of 2.3.0, building with Sun's cc on i386 with 4 GB of memory,
> > > pbc_to_exe parrot-nqp took me about 3 seconds. With
> > > r45860, it took about 35 minutes before panicing with

Thanks to chromatic for a quick fix in TT #1572, which involved replacing
pbc_to_exe's excessive use of concatenation with a ResizeableStringArray.

This does bring up another question, however.  The old concatenation
scheme used to work; now it doesn't.  (Or, more precisely, it works on
small files, but not on large ones.)  Should I open a separate ticket on
the inefficiency of concatenation in the new immutable strings era, or was
pbc_to_exe's use so pathological that it's not worth worrying about?

    Andy Dougherty		doughera at lafayette.edu