Why has pbc_to_exe become unusable?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Apr 22 12:12:09 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 08:04:39AM -0400, Andy Dougherty wrote:
> This does bring up another question, however.  The old concatenation
> scheme used to work; now it doesn't.  (Or, more precisely, it works on
> small files, but not on large ones.)  Should I open a separate ticket on
> the inefficiency of concatenation in the new immutable strings era, or was
> pbc_to_exe's use so pathological that it's not worth worrying about?

The compiler toolkit does a lot of concatenation in order to generate
the PIR that ultimately gets compiled.

The POST compiler converts each POST::Op node into the appropriate
PIR statement (a string), and concatenates these strings together
to produce the final PIR output.  So I suspect it's worth looking into.

Pm