The open opcode

Geoffrey Broadwell geoff at broadwell.org
Fri Apr 23 02:17:12 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 19:34 -0400, Andrew Whitworth wrote:
> the open opcode calls src/io/api.c:Parrot_io_open, which does redirect
> to the appropriate PMC type. We've done some encapsulation-breaking
> for performance issues (saves a PCC call if we can just muck with
> FileHandle's internals directly).

Honest question: How did this ever turn up as a performance issue?  Was
this a response to performance problems before the PCC
refactoring/optimization?

I'm trying to imagine a case (even a completely contrived one) in which
the addition of a PCC call during the file open operation becomes a
bottleneck, and I'm afraid I'm failing, unless I've grossly
underestimated the cost of a PCC call in my calculations ....

-'f