Should we have programs with executable permissions in the distro

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Sun Aug 1 13:29:52 UTC 2010

Gerd Pokorra wrote:
> Changing the first line of files which starts with "#! perl" would be
> nice.
>
> Does it have any disadvantage to set it from "#! perl" to
> "#!/usr/bin/perl"?
>
> Also: "#! parrot"  ->   "#!/usr/bin/parrot"\\

I would oppose both of those.  Whenever a new version of Perl 5 comes
out, I build it from source.  By default, it gets installed as
/usr/local/bin/perl.  So I wouldn't want any Perl 5 program in the
distro to have such a hard-coded shebang line.

And, as for /usr/bin/parrot:  I see that Rakudo Star by default installs
its parrot underneath the directory where the tarball is processed.
Given how unstable parrot and rakudo are expected to be in the medium
term, I think that's an appropriate choice.  Let people who want to have
parrot under /usr/bin/ or (better) /usr/local/bin/ explicitly request that.

But, Gerd, what do you think about the permissions, as distinct from the
shebang lines?

(Me, I'm leaning toward 0644.)

Thank you very much.
kid51