Translations

Todd Olson tco2 at cornell.edu
Thu Dec 16 15:47:17 UTC 2010

On 2010-Dec-16, at 10:10, Andrew Whitworth wrote:

> I would like to create a folder docs/translations/ to hold

> ...and so on. We can talk about how to organize dialects like pt vs
> pt-BR.

nice.
Perhaps we should push beyond languages to locales

Perhaps we could learn from Apple's design
(which appears to be very similar to what you propose).

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPInternational/Articles/InternatAndLocaliz.html%23//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000277-SW1

(3rd paragraph ... 'bundle directory')

Examples on any Mac OS X system see  /Applications/*.app/Contents/Resources/*.lproj

> I have no particular opinion on whether we want each dialect to
> have it's own folder or to utilize subfolders.

It's own folder might be less contentious.
  Is yiddish a dialect of german or it's own language?

Also Language and Locale Designations
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPInternational/Articles/InternatAndLocaliz.html%23//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000277-SW1

> suffixed with ".DRAFT"

nice.

> Another thing I suggest we do, and soon, is add a clause to the
> english README to say that only the English version of the
> documentation is "official"

Should we understand that the english translation would
otherwise be on the same footing as all other versions ...
that is, they would all be in  docs/translations/en/

Regards,
Todd Olson