Translations

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 18:32:24 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:10:53AM -0500, Andrew Whitworth wrote:
>> I would like to create a folder docs/translations/ to hold
>> translations. That way we don't fill up the root and other important
>> directories with a million translations of things. So we would have a
>> folder structure like this:
>>
>> docs/translations/fr/
>> docs/translations/ru/
>> docs/translations/pt/
>> docs/translations/pt-BR/
>
> Would it perhaps be better to maintain documentation translations
> in a separate repository (or multiple repositories) altogether?
> That way commit bits could be given out much more freely for
> people doing translation -- i.e., we wouldn't need a CLA before
> handing out a commit bit to new translators.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Another thought:  Start it off as a separate repository for now,
> and bring it into the main repository when we know better how we'd
> like it to be structured.

I like that too. It reminds me very much of the huge translation
project for MediaWiki. They have a separate website entirely,
http://translatewiki.net/, which works on providing translations for
MediaWiki and it's extensions (and now other open source projects as
well). Actually, now that I think about it, maybe we could register
our separate translation project with TranslateWiki if we were serious
about it and if we had i18n support.

Anyway, I like this idea. I think we do want translations and should
want them, but we don't want that work to interfere with the code work
that we do in the main repo.