Translations

Richard Hainsworth richard at rusrating.ru
Fri Dec 17 09:09:41 UTC 2010

Translations take time and are almost by definition out of sync with the
latest version of the file being translated.

It would be useful for a non-English reader of a translation to know at
what point the translation was made. Even with an old translation and an
understanding of the changes between the old and new texts (eg. using
DIFF), a non-English user can work out what the new text means.

Suggestion: All English README's should have an extension with data
information, and a link file with the simple name, in the same way
dynamic libraries are named. eg.,

README.20100401 (major revision as of 1 April 2010)
README (link to README.20100401)

The translated file could then be (eg)

translations/ru/README.20100401
translations/po/README.20090313

To avoid too many README's, a minor update to include typos would not
need a new date, but major revisions, such as new paragraphs, changes in
link addresses, would need to bump the date/version number

A very visible date stamp will also indicate how old a README is,
indicating that its content should be reviewed if it has become very old.

Regards,
Richard

On 12/16/2010 09:32 PM, Andrew Whitworth wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Patrick R. Michaud<pmichaud at pobox.com>  wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:10:53AM -0500, Andrew Whitworth wrote:
>>> I would like to create a folder docs/translations/ to hold
>>> translations. That way we don't fill up the root and other important
>>> directories with a million translations of things. So we would have a
>>> folder structure like this:
>>>
>>> docs/translations/fr/
>>> docs/translations/ru/
>>> docs/translations/pt/