eliminating CFLAGS

Jonathan Leto jaleto at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 23:33:29 UTC 2010

Howdy,

> Since we (RTEMS folks) want Parrot on RTEMS don't forget
> that cross-builds often will have to specify flags for CPU
> model.  We will add "-BBSPDIR/ -specs bsp_specs -qrtems" on
> every compile line.  This adds a directory to the system
> path for the compiler that is board specific and augments
> gcc's rules with bsp_specs.
>
> I am all in favor of simplification and faster builds.  We
> are happy if it is computed once and kept, as long as it
> can be set. :)
>
> --joel sherrill, RTEMS

This is a great point, Joel. I also believe that striving for a
warning-free build is worth the effort, but we need to make sure we
are not winning a Pyrrhic Victory [0] but losing the maintainability
war. If we have to introduce a few warnings for a short time while we
figure out a new, better, config system, then I am not against that.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhic_victory

--
Jonathan "Duke" Leto
jonathan at leto.net