eliminating CFLAGS

Will Coleda will at coleda.com
Tue Feb 9 13:32:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 2/9/2010 9:01 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>>
>> On 02/08/2010 12:57 PM, Andrew Whitworth wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm pretty strongly in favor of this change. Having more information
>>> available about how individual files are compiled is always a good
>>> thing. %2 improvement on build times isn't itself a motivating factor,
>>> but a more straight-forward build process is.
>>>
>> Since we (RTEMS folks) want Parrot on RTEMS don't forget
>> that cross-builds often will have to specify flags for CPU
>> model. We will add "-BBSPDIR/ -specs bsp_specs -qrtems" on
>> every compile line. This adds a directory to the system
>> path for the compiler that is board specific and augments
>> gcc's rules with bsp_specs.

This can be done by passing a parameter to Configure.pl - see the
--help on that for adding CFLAGS.

> If Parrot builds tools on the host require to build the target code there
> needs to be 2 separate sets of flags. Does it ? Typically HOST_CFLAGS
> handles the host and CFLAGS handles the target. This also goes for CC where
> HOST_CC handles the host compiler and CC is the target compiler.
>
> Chris

We don't go out of our way to support cross-platform compilation at
the moment; we don't use HOST_CFLAGS; I /think/ there is a mechanism
to allow specifying a config file to be used instead of using the one
Configure.pl would build after probing your system. Can any parrot
porters who've done this (all 2 of you) jump in here?

--
Will "Coke" Coleda