eliminating CFLAGS

Jonathan Leto jaleto at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 21:24:21 UTC 2010

Howdy,

>> If Parrot builds tools on the host require to build the target code there
>> needs to be 2 separate sets of flags. Does it ? Typically HOST_CFLAGS
>> handles the host and CFLAGS handles the target. This also goes for CC where
>> HOST_CC handles the host compiler and CC is the target compiler.
>>
>> Chris
>
> We don't go out of our way to support cross-platform compilation at
> the moment; we don't use HOST_CFLAGS; I /think/ there is a mechanism
> to allow specifying a config file to be used instead of using the one
> Configure.pl would build after probing your system. Can any parrot
> porters who've done this (all 2 of you) jump in here?
> --
> Will "Coke" Coleda

Let it be know that yes, we now *are* going out of our way to support
cross-platform compilation. I am working on porting Parrot to two new
platforms:

1) RTEMS - which is actually a whole slew of platforms
2) BUG - PokyLinux on ARM1136JF-S (ARMv6 RISC)

Chris Johns did most of the work getting Parrot to use RTEMS
cross-compile subsystem and I am working on integrating the necessary
changes into the Parrot codebase.

I know that these new platforms are not *officially* supported, but
they are very high on my task list and I hope that with the help of
some GSoC students this year, they will become officially supported in
the near future.

Duke

--
Jonathan "Duke" Leto