[RFC] opengl_dynamic_nci branch

Geoffrey Broadwell geoff at broadwell.org
Sat Feb 13 06:39:07 UTC 2010

On Feb 12, 2010, at 20:29, Peter Lobsinger wrote:
> A good idea. And like most good ideas, this has been done before. As
> far as I can tell, libffi (http://sourceware.org/libffi/) takes this
> approach and supports a large variety of platforms and os.

*chuckle*  Well, I never claimed originality.  At least now I know
it's workable in practice, as well as theory.  :-)

> I am interested in providing a frame builder based on libffi. But
> based on my experience with the libjit frame builder, I have come to
> understand that there are complications with providing runtime frame
> builders on parrot as it stands today.

For instance?  I'm curious about the details ....

> The opengl_dynamic_nci solution
> is an incremental improvement on what we have now that provides a
> "good enough" solution immediately.

Please don't take anything I've said in the thread as negative toward
your solution.  As I said, we need any improvement we can get, and I
can't wait to try out your code.  I've been merely speculating on the
long term.

-'f