vtable_massacre branch needs more eyes

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Sat Feb 13 14:01:39 UTC 2010

Andy Dougherty wrote:
> With this branch at Revision: 43921 on Solaris, I got two new sets of
> failure.  Both look like bad plans -- the "List of Failed" are all greater
> than the "Total".
>
> Failed Test            Stat Wstat Total Fail  List of Failed
> t/op/arithmetics_pmc.t               44   12  45-56
> t/pmc/bigint.t                       34   11  35-45

r43921 was the point at which the branch was merged back into trunk.  At
this same revision, I am getting the same problem as Andy in
t/pmc/bigint.t on Darwin/PPC, but not on Linux/i386.  (I am not getting
failures in t/op/arithmetics_pmc.t on either box.)

This is the output I'm getting on Darwin/PPC:

$ prove -v t/pmc/bigint.t
t/pmc/bigint.t ..
1..34
This Parrot uses GMP
Buggy GMP version [4.1.3] with huge digit multiply - please upgrade
ok 1 #skip skipped
ok 2 #skip skipped
ok 3 #skip skipped
ok 44 #skip skipped
ok 45 #skip skipped
All 34 subtests passed
         (less 45 skipped subtests: -11 okay)

Test Summary Report
-------------------
t/pmc/bigint.t (Wstat: 0 Tests: 45 Failed: 11)
   Failed tests:  35-45
   Parse errors: Bad plan.  You planned 34 tests but ran 45.
Files=1, Tests=45,  4 wallclock secs ( 0.13 usr  0.05 sys +  0.12 cusr
0.11 csys =  0.41 CPU)
Result: FAIL

Now, I've been getting that "Buggy GMP" message -- and hence, SKIPping
tests -- on this test file for years.  But I never got a FAIL due to
some problem in test counting until now.  When this was still in the
branch, I got this problem on Darwin/PPC and changed the number of tests
in the plan to 45, at which point all the tests were correctly SKIPped
and the file as a whole PASSed.

But apparently that was the wrong thing to do and someone changed it
back to 34 before the merge.  (I can't say who, because this is one of
those files on which 'svn blame' refuses to work, saying that the file
is "binary."  I was told once upon a time that this was due to a
defective CVS-to-SVN conversion way back when.)

kid51