[RFC] opengl_dynamic_nci branch

Peter Lobsinger plobsing at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 00:02:54 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 1:39 AM, Geoffrey Broadwell <geoff at broadwell.org> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2010, at 20:29, Peter Lobsinger wrote:
>> I am interested in providing a frame builder based on libffi. But
>> based on my experience with the libjit frame builder, I have come to
>> understand that there are complications with providing runtime frame
>> builders on parrot as it stands today.
>
> For instance?  I'm curious about the details ....

The biggest problem: changes to the size and number of PMCs that get
created at parrot init tend to stir up bugs in subsystems that are
misusing the GC (but by chance currently aren't failing tests). These
bugs can be hard to diagnose and solve. For example, I wound up
cleaning up freeze/thaw for a failure in t/pmc/eval.t that turns out
to be the fault of neither freeze/thaw or eval (see TT1142 for the
details).

libjit related: lack of interest (hard to convince testers to install
libjit), lack of platform support (mac osx). Maybe I should have
picked a more mainstream library to start with.

Btw, have you had a chance to look at the branch yet?