[RFC] removing library NCI signatures from core

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 17:22:23 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Peter Lobsinger <plobsing at gmail.com> wrote:
> As an aside, methods on C-based PMCs use NCI thunks, so unless you can
> shoehorn an API into vtables, you're no further ahead by trying to use
> PMCs in the current system.

Is that still the case? I thought that the PCC refactors changed that.
At the very least argument handling is done differently, so it should
be possible to avoid NCI thunks (or, most of them) when calling
C-based methods.

> Seems like a good idea to me. I would be willing to do the (small
> amount) of work to make that happen.

+1

> As I understand it, Lorito is supposed to be small. A decent FFI will
> need to implement at least a large chunk of the types your C compiler
> works with. Because of the increase in scope (and associated
> complexity) this causes, I'm not sure that we'd want to push native
> interfacing into Lorito. Maybe I'm mistaken, please enlighten me if I
> am (the vision for Lorito has always been a little hazy for me).

Lorito is intended to be small, but it's also supposed to have the
same general capabilities as C. This means it should be able to call
arbitrary C functions with it. That may be ambitious, but it sure
sounds good.