boehm_gc branch. Call for help.

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Sun Jan 3 04:04:59 UTC 2010

Andy Dougherty wrote:

> I don't think this is a packaging problem, but instead it is a
> different-version problem.  Most likely, Configure.pl ought to try to
> compile, link, and run a sample program that actually uses Boehm GC in
> a way similar to the way it will be used in parrot, and only say "Yes,
> you have Boehm GC" if that sample program works.

For a long time config/auto/gc.pm allowed you to choose (via
command-line options) among 4 different garbage collection systems.
The only problem was:  Only one of them worked!  So we decided to strip
out all the code pertaining to the vaporware systems.

Bacek, your exploration of Boehm GC may mean that it's time to put a
command-line option back in and to add an 'elsif boehm' stanza to
auto::gc.  That stanza would run a sample program as Andy D describes.

kid51