Server Available

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 15:56:50 UTC 2010

I have gotten my hands on a Dell PowerEdge 2850 server machine. I need
to really triage it, but I think it could be a quad-core Xeon with
between 2-16GB RAM. I need to dig into it more to find out the actual
specs.

Regardless, I would like to donate this machine in some way to the
Parrot effort. I think we could get it setup with a few sandbox
virtual machines for various supported platforms and let people use it
for remote testing (especially when we have outstanding
platform-specific bug reports or for testing prior to a release).
Keeping several legacy VM images around would let us provide a testing
platform for older but still "supported" OS's. We could have several
flavors of Linux, Solaris and BSD variants available.

Unfortunately I live in a little apartment and don't have room to host
it myself. I don't have any friends/family locally who would both be
willing to host the machine physically and make their IP addresses
public. Plus it would be a huge pain to manage it in a residential
setting with a dynamic DNS.

So the question is this: Are there any parrot community members in the
Philadelphia area, or sympathetic local companies who would be willing
to host the machine? I say "philadelphia area" because costs to ship
it would be prohibitive for me personally. Plus if it's local and
there is a problem I could get physical access to it if necessary.

If we can find a good home for this machine I may be able to acquire
more machines as well with similar capabilities.

Anybody interested should please let me know either on or off list.

Thanks,