80/20 programming language interoperability?

Jonathan Leto jaleto at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 19:50:11 UTC 2010

Howdy,

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of parrot-dev. I would
like to comment on these two sentences:

> There seems to be no priority design focus
> on interoperability between languages?  Nor any priority design focus on
> the performance of interoperability with native C code?

While it may not be easy to find this information (which is something
Parrot devs need to improve), I must disagree with you.

Parrot developers care *greatly* about language interop, what we refer
to as HLL (High Level Language) interop. You can find the draft Parrot
Developer Doc (PDD) here [0] and you may also want to check out the
draft PDD on our HLL interface [1]. As for our native code/FFI, you
probably want to read the NCI (Native Call Interface) PDD [2].

Please let us know how we can make our documentation: easier to find,
easier to use and more helpful. Your outside perspective is greatly
appreciated.

Duke

[0] - http://docs.parrot.org/parrot/latest/html/docs/pdds/draft/pdd31_hll_interop.pod.html
[1] - http://docs.parrot.org/parrot/latest/html/docs/pdds/draft/pdd31_hll.pod.html