--without-threads and its effect on threading

Andy Dougherty doughera at lafayette.edu
Sat Jan 30 23:07:16 UTC 2010

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010, chromatic wrote:

> On Friday 29 January 2010 at 13:26, Jonathan Leto wrote:
>
> > Can someone think up a test case that will fail if parrot is compiled
> > using the --without-threads flag but still has threads? I am willing
> > to write it, just tell me the best way to go about it.
>
> If our configuration system has 'pthread' as one of the necessary libraries to
> link against even after configured with --without-threads, we have a problem.
> Do you know a way to look for that library, or is that in an accessible
> configuration option?

A number of hints files unconditionally add in -lprthread (or some
equivalent).  They all should be fixed to honor the --without-threads
flag.  Since there's so much duplicated code in each hint file, it
probably belongs in its own Configure step instead.

Also, if the underlying perl was compiled with threads, those flags will
probably get passed through (though I haven't verified this).

    Andy Dougherty		doughera at lafayette.edu