[Critisms] Parrot backward compatibility and docs

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 01:55:14 UTC 2010

These are very good criticisms, and important for us to hear. By the
letter of the deprecation policy, a deprecation notice for the removed
ops was added in a supported release, but that notice was cryptic and
vague.

To sort of enumerate some conflicting problems we have:

1) We need to be able to deprecate things. There are a lot of parts of
parrot (though the number is shrinking every month) that not good for
Parrot or it's users in general and need to be modified/removed. Out
with the old, in with the new, etc.
2) Some issues aren't so pressing, but a few issues do need rapid
turnaround because people (especially Rakudo) end up waiting on
changes so they can make progress.
3) Other people, such as yourself, like things to move a little bit
slower so you don't get the rug pulled out from under you.

The current prevailing wisdom is that your project should not track
SVN HEAD. Instead, you should pick a stable release and track that
until you are ready to upgrade. So, my immediate suggestion is that
you pick a good stable supported release (2.3, and eventually 2.6) to
base your work against. Obviously, if you're following the
bleeding-edge development repository you're going to have to deal with
the hassles associated with that.

The root issue is that we probably need to put more thought into our
deprecation notices. A good notice or linked ticket should, to my
mind, include:
1) Detail about what exactly is changing or disappearing
2) Detail about how to work around the changes, and where to go for
help if the given workarounds don't do it
3) Information about the immediacy of the deprecation (important to do
quickly vs can take some time if necessary)

We should probably also have a place where wayward developers can find
 a listing of all recent deprecation notices, so when something does
change people don't have to search too hard to find the information
they need.

Thoughts?

--Andrew Whitworth