[Critisms] Parrot backward compatibility and docs

Tyler Curtis tyler.l.curtis at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 03:26:44 UTC 2010

Something that could be helpful is a mailing list specifically for
deprecations. Every modification to DEPRECATED.pod could either
automatically or manually as a required part of the deprecation
process be posted to the list, and when the deprecated feature was
finally removed, a precise description of what has been removed, what
the new way of doing it is, and how to migrate existing code to use
the new way. So, someone developing on top of Parrot could subscribe
to the list, and whenever a deprecated feature is removed, they could
quickly use the included instructions in the message to the list to
check whether they need to update their code and how to do so. Of
course, the deprecation wiki page would also work, if it was kept
updated. Really, the most important thing would be to have some
handling of this aspect of the deprecation process, whatever that
handling may be, specified and followed.