[Critisms] Parrot backward compatibility and docs

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 11:38:54 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 2:34 AM, Christoph Otto <christoph at mksig.org> wrote:
> To that end, I propose that the current Deprecation wiki page be used as an
> index similar to Drupal's [1].  I also propose that we not consider any
> further deprecations eligible for trunk until there's a page on wiki
> describing the change and what Parrot users need to do to update their code.
> This would be in addition to the current deprecation policy, i.e. the change
> must be eligible *and* documented before it could be committed to trunk.

I would change that a little bit to say "eligible and properly
documented". It might be worth our while to create a boilerplate
template that we can use for describing deprecations, and only
consider it acceptable when the template is completely filled out.

> If this sounds like a good idea, I'm happy to get the wiki page organized,
> write some example pages and otherwise take the lead in making sure that
> this policy is documented and followed.

+1

> I want Parrot to be a great platform for HLL and library development, but
> this is an area where we've been falling short.

Strongly agreed. We certainly can't make everybody 100% happy all the
time, but I think we can do a lot better than we are doing right now.