ns_func_cleanup branch, notes

Andy Dougherty doughera at lafayette.edu
Fri Jun 18 14:46:05 UTC 2010

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010, Andrew Whitworth wrote:

> I just merged the ns_func_cleanup branch into trunk. To recap:
>
> First part of the branch is renaming functions to follow proper naming
> conventions, and in some cases to be more accurate/descriptive about
> what they do:
> Parrot_get_namespace_keyed* -> Parrot_ns_get_namespace_keyed*
[ ... more similar sensible renamings ... ]

> I'm going to start putting together a patch for Rakudo now, and maybe
> partcl too, if I have time tonight (tomorrow otherwise). If anybody
> else needs help with the update, let me know.

I just read this mail and the "backward compatibility" mail thread in one
sitting, and had the following thought:

This, of course, breaks Rakudo, and any other HLL using those functions,
and even though you are kindly fixing those, it will still make bisecting
around this change difficult.

Would it be sensible to keep the old names around for a while as mere
wrapper functions for the new ones?  Of course Rakudo could stick in a
bunch of #ifdefs to deal with the change, but I think the technical burden
should be parrot's in such things.

    Andy Dougherty		doughera at lafayette.edu