[Critisms] Parrot backward compatibility and docs

Jonathan Leto jaleto at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 17:57:49 UTC 2010

Howdy,

> To that end, I propose that the current Deprecation wiki page be used as an
> index similar to Drupal's [1].  I also propose that we not consider any
> further deprecations eligible for trunk until there's a page on wiki
> describing the change and what Parrot users need to do to update their code.
> This would be in addition to the current deprecation policy, i.e. the change
> must be eligible *and* documented before it could be committed to trunk.
>
> If this sounds like a good idea, I'm happy to get the wiki page organized,
> write some example pages and otherwise take the lead in making sure that
> this policy is documented and followed.
>
> I want Parrot to be a great platform for HLL and library development, but
> this is an area where we've been falling short.

This sounds like a great idea, +1. This will greatly help HLL
developers and projects
that interact with Parrot to stay up-to-date as easily as posisble,
and make it possible
for someone to pick up a dormant Parrot project and have a roadmap for making it
work with the newest release.

I like the idea of sending "how to deal with the most recent
deprecation" emails to parrot-users.

Jonathan "Duke" Leto
jonathan at leto.net
http://leto.net