Rakudo *Needs* Register Allocation

Peter Lobsinger plobsing at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 06:05:09 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Doing it in IMCC is intractable I think. It's probably okay if basic
> PIR doesn't get too fancy with register allocation, though there's no
> reason why it shouldn't be added in to POST. Do you think it should be
> part of normal POST operation, or added as an optional optimization
> step? I ask because we might want multiple pluggable/selectable
> allocators, and we may want to turn off the fancier ones entirelywhere
> speed is an issue.

The problem with doing register allocation before IMCC is that IMCC
creates temporary registers and does so in a very simple, inefficient
way (every temporary in a function consumes an independant register).

I'm not saying that we should keep register allocation in IMCC, but
rather that it should occur in a phase *after* IMCC has finished
allocating its temproraries.