How to inject methods

chromatic chromatic at wgz.org
Mon Jun 28 22:07:33 UTC 2010

On Monday 28 June 2010 at 15:00, Jonathan Worthington wrote:

> Certainly going in the namespace should not be the default though, which
> is what iirc is what #389 fixed.

Exactly.  This caused intractable problems for Rakudo.

> Also the class registry probably should die.

I don't know how to get rid of it.

> A declarative PIR syntax for classes, attributes and methods is not what
> Rakudo needs, though.

It is, but you don't know it yet.  Even if Rakudo doesn't *use* that syntax
(and I recommend not using it), that syntax will force Parrot to come up with
an efficient serialization and initialization mechanism which allows thawing of
declared classes *without running initialization code to declare them*.

> I fully expect Rakudo's class and role definitions to continue to
> compile down to a series of method calls on meta-objects. However, what
> should be possible is that we can then freeze the resulting object
> (/meta-object) tree into the PBC, so that we can just bring it back to
> life later on rather than having to run through re-creating it.

Precisely.

I have a page of notes on all of these needs, per the YAPC discussion.  I want
to run some design ideas past the Moose developers as well.

-- c