PCC Refactor Hackathon This Weekend

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 13:19:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Vasily Chekalkin <bacek at bacek.com> wrote:
> Andrew Whitworth wrote:
>>
>> As we mentioned yesterday at #ps, we're going to have a hackathon on
>> Saturday to get the args/returns refactor started. Information about
>> the refactor is located on the wiki:
>>
>> http://trac.parrot.org/parrot/wiki/CallingConventionsTasklist
>
> Just my 2 cents: we have to resurrect CallSignatureReturns PMC, move csr_*
> functions back into it and use this PMC to store pointers for return
> positions in C code. vastart/valist macros can't be restarted. An
> technically speaking we are invoking "get_results" "opcode" before "invoke"
> "opcode" on C side.

This shouldn't be necessary. The point of the refactor is to use
CallContext to perform both call and return using the same CPS
mechanism. A return will be exactly like a function call, pushing
"arguments" into the signature and invoking the return continuation.
After the return continuation has been invoked, we use get_results to
unpack the signature. There shouldn't be any pointers necessary, and
no special new PMC types needed.