upgrading parrot's launchpad branch to bzr 2a format

Parth Malwankar parth.malwankar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 05:38:17 UTC 2010

Hello,

As a bzr user I prefer to follow the parrot import on launchpad[1] while
studying parrot.

During the branching I started seeing some issues like 'bzr branch' taking
too long and connection timeout.

After some discussion and experiments[2] it seems that the launchpad
branch is in a very old format (0.92) and newer bzr clients 2.x need to
do a lot of work in converting the format for any operation. Changing
this to 2a would make dealing with launchpad branch very efficient
(disk space, speed and memory). Might I suggest that the launchpad
owner upgrade the branch to 2a format. It would make life a little
easier for bzr users :-)

Note that 2a format requires bzr 2.x client which has been out for
quite some time now. People having local branch would need create
their local branch again ('bzr branch lp:parrot') once this conversion happens.

I talked to the #bzr folks on irc regarding how this can be done.

<parthm> hello. i am planning to suggest the lp:parrot owner to
upgrade the repo format to 2a. whats the suggested way to upgrade an
lp branch. l believe lp:parrot is an svn imported branch.
https://launchpad.net/parrot
<spiv> I think the owner of the branch can click an "upgrade format"
button in the web UI now.

Regards,
Parth

[1] https://launchpad.net/parrot