Lorito bytcode security vs jittability

Allison Randal allison at parrot.org
Thu Mar 11 12:31:27 UTC 2010

On 3/11/10 4:57 AM, Peter Lobsinger wrote:

> It would be great if we could somehow get low-level, easily jittable
> ops and easily validatable ops at the same time. Striving for both, or
> at least the right balance, is something we should probably be
> thinking about when designing Lorito.

The idea for Lorito is that there will be two levels of ops: a) the
low-level ops that are the core of the VM, and b) high-level "virtual"
ops composed of those low-level ops, at about the same semantic level as
our current opcodes. The low-level ops will be directly JITed (as in, we
provide LLVM IR or other representations for each one) while the
high-level ops will be JITed the same way as subroutines, composing the
total block to JIT from the small, low-level ops.

The point to stick the security categorizations for sandboxing is on the
high-level ops, rather than the low-level ops. Any work that goes into
categorizing our current opcodes will be carried across into Lorito.

Allison