PATCH/RFC: Allow passing parameters to the dynamic linker

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Fri Mar 19 04:22:53 UTC 2010

Hello all,

The current Parrot interface to dlopen on UNIX systems is incomplete; it does
not allow passing control parameters, one of which is needed for the correct
operation of Blizkost (the Perl 5 to Parrot adaptor which I am working on for
Rakudo *).  I beleive the best place to add this functionality is in Parrot
itself, as this avoids any duplication of the configuration logic required to
bind to the dynamic linker portably.  This patch implements a portable and
extensible interface for Parrot extensions to pass data to the Parrot dynamic
linking mechanism.  Is this acceptable for Parrot?

This is my first Parrot patch and so I especially welcome all feedback,
especially as regarding the PIR-level interface.

Thank you.
-Stefan (sorear on #parrot)