GSoC 2010 Idea: Instrumenting Framework

Muhd Khairul Syamil Hashim khairulsyamil at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 17:34:48 UTC 2010

Hi there,

I should introduce myself.
My name is Khairul and I'm currently a Year 3 student studying at the
National University of Singapore (NUS), majoring in Computer Engineering.

I currently have an idea for the 2010 Google Summer of Code (GSoC 2010),
which is to implement a simple framework for instrumenting code that runs
on Parrot. This is in the vein of DTrace and DynamoRIO (a dynamic
instrumentation tool platform, www.dynamorio.org).

I think having such a tool will be a boon to Parrot and languages that
implement on top of Parrot. With instrumentation, we can inspect the flow
of the program dynamically, setting up triggers on certain environment
conditions, etc. This will assist in debugging the system, potentially
providing more information than just debugging or tracing the program.
This can also serve as a basis for more tools, with Valgrind  and its
tools as an example.

As such, this is my proposal. I would like to embark on a project for
GSoC to create a tool that will take in 2 arguments, the first is the
source file to execute and instrument against, and the other, a file
containing the instrument callbacks that will be called on certain events.
The tool will consist of 2 Parrot interpreter environments, one to run the
file and the other for the instruments. This will prevent the instruments
from contaminating and interfering with the execution environment. By
utilizing an interpreter for the instruments, we can use languages supported
on Parrot to implement the instruments. I think the tracing runcore can be
leveraged and modified to provide the hooks for calling the instruments,
given that it is already tracing and dumping all instructions.

                                   +---+ +---+ +---+ +---+
+------+                           +---+-+---+-+---+-+---++   instruments
+------+------+                    +----------------------+   to register
| Interpreter |  ----------------> |      Interpreter     |   callbacks (PIR)
+-------------+  Hooks activated   +----------------------+
 [ Hopefully the diagram doesn't get garbled ]

Of course, this is a simplistic overview.I shall admit that I have only
recently started looking at Parrot when I heard about the announcement of
GSoC 2010. As such, my understanding of Parrot and its internals may not
be sufficient for now. I have spent the past few days looking through the
source for Parrot and suspect will spend more time over the coming days,
classes and workload permitting, figuring out Parrot's internals and PIR.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or comments regarding this.

Regards,
Khairul