GSoC 2010 Idea: Instrumenting Framework

Muhd Khairul Syamil khairulsyamil at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 15:19:08 UTC 2010

Hi Duke,

Thank you for the invitation to the IRC channels.
I do intend to get on there when I have the time.

With regards to your question, I can't give any firm examples for now.
I'm still learning about the Parrot internals and PIR. I will try to answer that
question soon.

However, I have, over the past 2 days been working on a proof of concept,
which does simple instruction counting of instructions executed.
I'm not certain if its a good idea to attach the code, so I'll just post the link.

http://www.mangkok.com/parrot/doctor.c
http://www.mangkok.com/parrot/instr.pir

Doctor.c is the C source file.
Compiled, it takes in 2 arguments, as I stated in my initial posting,
the first of which is the .PBC file of the instruments, the second of
which is the .PBC file of the code.
(I can't  figure out why it doesn't seem to be able to compile .PIR files)
(Tested on Mac OS X 10.6, don't have access to linux for the moment)

instr.pir is the PIR source code for the instruments.
Well, so far, I've only implemented a simple instruction counter instrument
that counts the number of instructions executed. The count does seem to
tally with the instructions counted in pbc_disassemble's output of the file
I tested on. Performance wise, it is kind of slow. But it is a start.
(Tested on my own .PBC files and the compiled .PBC of mandel.pir in examples/pir)

I do apologize for taking a while to reply to you. I am rather swamped with
assignments at the moment, hence the delay.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions regarding the proof of concept.

Regards,
Khairul