Toward a Better Discussion of Parrot's Future VCS Options

Moritz Lenz moritz at faui2k3.org
Tue May 4 14:46:47 UTC 2010

Am 04.05.2010 07:19, schrieb Jonathan Leto:
> That being said, I think if everyone who is interested can give
> three-ish constructive reasons (on parrot-dev and/or blog post) for
> why Parrot should convert to VCS $X, that would be useful.

My shot:
http://perlgeek.de/blog-en/perl-6/distributed-vcs.html

> I think
> these reasons should concentrate on why it is good for the Parrot
> community in general, and not concentrate on personal reasons. I think
> case studies are very valuable here as well. We should interview
> developers from other open source projects who have converted VCS's
> recently, and see what we can learn from them. Not learning from their
> mistakes is just plain dumb.

In particular I know of two projects that migrated away from SVN: Rakudo
and the eigen2 linear algebra.

Both were fairly unspectacular; the Rakudo migration caused some
confusion because Patrick did the migration, and then disappeared for
some time (due to travel or family issues); but we managed, and I
haven't observed any big mistakes except clear, up-front communication.

Eigen planned to migrate to git, but ended up with mercurial. The reason
was simply that somebody volunteered to do the mercurial transition, and
nobody stepped up for the conversion to git. There was one day on which
the developers were asked not commit anything. And there was a period of
about two days when the Eigen wiki was not properly listing
contributors, but there was no major fallout either.

> I think most core developers agree that Subversion is not serving us
> well. Everyone wants to be more productive and have fewer hoops to
> jump through to do amazing things with Parrot. Let's try to make the
> process of migrating something that brings us together instead of
> dividing us.

+1 on that.

Cheers,
Moritz