Toward a Better Discussion of Parrot's Future VCS Options

Michael Peters mpeters at plusthree.com
Tue May 4 20:49:41 UTC 2010

On 05/04/2010 04:42 PM, Allison Randal wrote:

> Ah, that makes sense. When people talked about "speed" in the IRC
> discussion it really didn't make sense, as svn and git are about
> equivalent in day-to-day usage terms.

I'm definitely on the outside of this discussion, but I have to
completely disagree with this statement. Git is amazingly fast for lots
of different things. Any action involving the history (diff across
versions, log, etc) is considerably faster with Git. In fact I haven't
found any action that wasn't noticeably faster in Git. Sometimes we're
talking about something that's just a couple of seconds in svn but less
than a second in Git, so the overall savings aren't huge. But svn crawls
on lots of things because it has to hit the network for actions that Git
does not.

There are still times when I'm using Git that I think that something
must have gone wrong because it couldn't have succeeded that quickly.
Guess that's what being "trained" by svn does to you :)

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP