2.4 Release On 18 May

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Wed May 5 17:42:47 UTC 2010

It's that time again! The 2.4 release is coming out on May 18.

I don't think we need too long a feature freeze this month, but if we
could avoid large destabilizing changes between now and the release I
would much appreciate it. I would really like to see three things
focused on in the next week for the release:

1) Performance improvements related to immutable strings. If we could
get a prototype StringBuilder type put together between now and the
weekend, that would be great.
2) Testing for TT #389. This ticket has been open for long enough and
has caused enough headaches that we should make sure it is dead
forever. Let's make sure the solution does what Rakudo (and any other
HLL) needs, make sure we have adequate test coverage of it, and then
never speak of it again.
3) Testing for strings. Immutable strings made a lot of changes, so we
want to test all those. Also, there is more cleanup and performance
work to be done in the strings system now, and we want to make sure we
have a very good regression test suite available so we can catch bugs
and regressions early.

As always, please update NEWS and PLATFORMS.

This is going to be another in a long line of high-quality releases,
Let's make sure it's a good one!