What is the reason for having 'nqp-rx' twice?

Moritz Lenz moritz at faui2k3.org
Wed May 12 17:20:40 UTC 2010

Gerd Pokorra wrote:
> Why lives 'nqp-rx' at ext/nqp-rx in the parrot sources and on github at
> http://github.com/perl6/nqp-rx?

It's pretty obvious, but I'll say it anyway: in ex/nqp-rx in the parrot
repository there is only a compiled version of nqp-rx. Which is needed
for building HLLs.

If I remember correctly, the reasons for NQP-rx being developed outside
of parrot core were (in no particular order)

*) the ability to chose a parrot revision to work with
*) more technical liberty (regarding coding standards, build system
(parrot's build system isn't designed for bootstrapping compilers)
*) social liberty (giving people commit access to nqp-rx is much less
hassle than giving one to parrot)
*) git

Patrick, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points, or
forgot something crucial