Copying code from other projects

François Perrad francois.perrad at gadz.org
Fri May 14 21:54:58 UTC 2010

2010/5/14 Jonathan Leto <jaleto at gmail.com>

> Howdy,
>
> > I did a mistake when I reused for a fakexecutable the name 'tapir'
> > from a project which seems abandonned since 3 months
> > (in http://github.com/leto/tapir, last commit on January 26, 2010)
>
> Tapir is not abandoned. You even have a commit bit for it (as well as
> just about every Parrot core developer on github), which you have used
> before.
>
> > These files contain no code fragment from http://github.com/leto/tapir.
>
> Thanks for the clarification.
>
> > Somebody who really read my code, can not speak of fork or copy+tweaked
> > like I read in the referenced IRC log.
>
> You named your fakecutable 'tapir', which is what confused me. I
> quickly browsed the code, but it was not clear to me from whence it
> came, which is why I asked.
>
> > As I already wrote in
> > http://lists.parrot.org/pipermail/parrot-dev/2010-April/004110.html
> > if needed the current fakexecutable 'tapir' in Parrot tree could be
> renamed
> > 'parrot-prove'.
>
> This sounds like a good idea.

I'll do it tomorrow.

> For Parrot-based projects that would like to use a PIR-based test
> harness, is there an easy way to package TAP::Parser/TAP::Harness for
> external use? It would be nice if Plumage could install it.

I don't understand what you mean by 'for external use'.
A Parrot-based project needs a Parrot, usually an installed Parrot.
The files TAP/Formatter.pbc, TAP/Harness.pbc, TAP/Parser.pbc
are already installed with Parrot.
And the target 'test' of the library 'distutils' uses by default these
librairies.
So for example, in the language generated by the script tools/dev/
mk_language_shell.pl,
when you run 'parrot setup.pir test', you use them.

 François