Copying code from other projects

François Perrad francois.perrad at gadz.org
Sun May 16 09:45:09 UTC 2010

2010/5/14 Geoffrey Broadwell <geoff at broadwell.org>

> On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 11:33 +0200, François Perrad wrote:
> > I did a mistake when I reused for a fakexecutable the name 'tapir'
> > from a project which seems abandonned since 3 months
> > (in http://github.com/leto/tapir, last commit on January 26, 2010)
>
> "Stable" != "abandoned".  Besides, dukeleto being a Parrot committer,
> you could always just ask him.  :-)
>
> > I wrote a TAP consumer library in PIR, in the following files (and
> > their histories) :
> > These files contain no code fragment from
> > http://github.com/leto/tapir.
> > I did a partial "manual compilation" or a port (Perl5 to PIR, Perl5
> > regex to PIR)
> > of some Perl5 modules from CPAN :
> > Somebody who really read my code, can not speak of fork or copy
> > +tweaked
> > like I read in the referenced IRC log.
>
> I'm glad to hear this was just a misunderstanding, and I apologize for
> the confusion on my part.
>
> My next question though is "Why?"  If there was already a TAP consumer
> project in existence that you knew about, why write another one from
> scratch?  Why not just extend the current one?

Reusing the design of a Perl5 module is not my definition of "from scratch".
This kind of module is the result of more than 10 years of work & experience
of Perl QA gurus.

> > In the future, I'll continue this "manual compilation" with
> > TAP::Formatter::Color and TAP::Formatter::Console::ParallelSession
> > parts.
> > Currently, I do the same thing with the Perl5 modules URI & LWP
> > (coming soon).
>
> Each of these modules is either large or does not seem sufficiently
> "required" to be going in to Parrot core.  They feel more like something
> that should be in an external project.  Or was that already your
> intention?

The TAP library (with the script t/harness.pir) allows to run & consume
the ~12000 tests of Parrot.
Previously, a report was built with 'tar' & 'gzip'.
Now, this report is built with the library Archive/Tar.pbc and
the dynpmc GzipHandle.
Currently, the report is sent to smolder by 'curl'.
My goal is to send it with PIR libraries (ie, LWP, HTTP/Message & URI).

This stuff is "dogfooding" for "world domination".

Note : I don't target all features of the original Perl5 modules.
For example, the library Archive/TAR handles only creation, and neither
extraction or modification.